Friday, August 10, 2007

Days 77-79 - Weds-Fri, August 8-10

(Dirt Diva's Report)

I've been hiking alone for the past three days. I left Erik on Tuesday. He wasn't planning on doing high mileage and I was. I saw 5 Bears in the last section. That brings my bear sighting total to 7. I have also seen 2 Bob cats, 1 Grey fox, 4 coyotes, at least 20 deers and 100's of lizards.
It has been really hot and very dry without much water. The Data Book really sucks and all of us thru-hikers agree. It lists water sources that are dry and doesn't list ones that are there. If there is water in these sections now I can guarantee it is there every year since this is a dry year with very little snow and rain.

Here I am dehydrated and not happy with the writers of the Data Book! Ahh, trail magic - a really nice trail angel left this cooler with drinks and food near a road at mile 1531.

I have seen many group hikers in the past few days. I have been going through a bad patch the last couple days since I've been by myself. My spirits were lifted when I got to Trinity parks trail head and found a note my friend Jo Lynn had left for me. She and her husband were visiting a friend in Weed and she made a point to find a PCT trail head (mile 1566) on her trip. It made my day. She ran a couple of miles on the PCT to leave her presence for me. Thanks Jo Lynn, you're the best.

I did 33 miles the past 2 days, moving fast since I just want to get to Oregon.
I'm at the Hikers Hut in Etna (mile 1606). Right when I got into Etna, I got some Raspberry sorbet . I got a ride from a really old guy in his 80's. He smoked like a chimney and I thought I was going to puke. It's an awesome small town. People are so nice and friendly. I'm the only hiker here but I just missed 6 hikers who left today. So how cute is my "town dress" in Etna!

I will head out tomorrow at 8:45 am. I will reach the Seiad Valley post office in a couple days and will camp out at the RV park there.
From there it's 66 miles to Ashland, OR. WOOHOO! I plan to hitch into Ashland to resupply at a health food store.
I can't believe how far I have come. I must be honest with all of you, this is mentally and physically the most challenging thing I have ever done. I must stay focused and positive and just live day to day.
Thanks to all of you who comment on my blog. I read your comments and they lift my spirits.
Thanks to all of you for being a big part of why I continue going forward each day.
And thanks to my personal trail angel "Fast Jerry". Without you Jerry, I wouldn't have even made it this far. I am lucky to have you as a friend and I appreciate everything you have done for me.
I got my camera cable here in my resupply box so here are a few pictures from my camera. My 19 mile slack pack trail run on the 104 degree Hat Creek rim (the hottest section along the PCT - I ran 22 miles just to get extra miles in), the incredible Burney Falls, Hikers Neptune and Ricola in Castella, and the best salad in Mt Shasta City (now you see it > now you don't... yummy!).





Well that's all for now.
Much love,
Dirt Diva

20 comments:

Jen said...

You got this sista! YOur doing awesome! Keep on Keeping on!
Jen

Unknown said...

Catra, you continue to be an inspiration! I sit in awe of you! Love following your progress and your posts. You are an amazingly strong and beautiful woman. Thanks. You rock!
hugs.
Heather

Olga said...

Jo Linn rocks, as well as Jerry!!! You are tough, Catra, and I can't even imagine been positive for so many days in a raw...Boy, OR is here!

Jurek said...

WOW! What a beautiful waterfall! Did you go for a swim?

Your story is incredible! I hope you write a book about this adventure.

Anonymous said...

C--
You are sooo smashing. I knew this was gonna be tough and test yr very catraness (and that others would fall away like autumn leaves--no diss to others intended). You've got a lot of "company" cheering your efforts. Been reading your posts with utmost appreciation and am wowed.

Love the waterfall. Musta been quite a tonic.
Rock on and keep it up. Finally leaving Cali for the northwest!

A huge fan as you're inspiring as all.

Good vibes
dp from ny st near harriman st park

JeffO said...

I really don't like you having to go solo. Wish I was therre to do some with you. It would be a privilege to get "used-up" by Catra on the PCT!

Catra, you inspired me greatly over the past year. I've been training for the LT100 (one week away!) Not that I wasn't stubborn to begin with, but your example of resolve and tenacity, your attitude of fun in spite of agony, has helped me feel confident that I won't give up during my 1st 100-miler.
And no matter how it ends up, I'll have fun. It's not really about the miles - it's about the experience. To be out there, free, soaking up the scenery, meeting crazy people like you - that's living.

Keep living life the real way, Catra. You're awesome.

Unknown said...

Awesome Catra ~

Sister, You are The Real Deal. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Truth for the Day . . . . if this was easy, everyone would be doing it. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

You are among The Elite. There are not too many people on this Earth who get to that place. I am honored to know you and hope one day we get to smile at each other face 2 face.

Love and Joy,
xxoo

Unknown said...

Still enjoying following your journey. Keep it up, your an awesome inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Today was my first solo run on a trail today while I was sweeping the course fo the headlands 100 mile run by PCTR, and even though it was only 6.5 miles, I thought of you and it helped me not be so spooked.You inspire me to push further, the world needs more people like you. Rock on chick!!!

sandee said...

Hi Catra
Too bad you missed our sign near islip saddle down south. I will send you a picture of it, instead. Your journey is fantastic. I appreciate all the time you take to write and post photos.
Cheers, Sandee

Anonymous said...

How neat to have gotten to see so much wildlife. This sounds like a trip of a lifetime times 10. We are sending a bunch of positive energy from San Jose, keep it up.
Jim

Miki said...

How can you look so freakin stylin' after all that time on the trail! No fair!!! :)

Jo Lynn said...

Hi Catra,
You crack me up -- you cut the bottom of the "town dress" off and made a headband out of it. You are too much! So happy you found our note. People actually left it alone? I left it there about a month ago. I know you're anxious to get to Oregon and you are closer now than ever. :)
Hang in there Hon. We're all pulling for you (or pushing you). LOL
Love & hugs sent your way.

Outdoorgirl said...

Hi Catra!
I just spent 5 days backpacking in the North Cascades in WA and I was amazed with the scenery and the evil little persistent mosquitoes in that area. WOW! I think you are amazing for dealing with those little suckers all the time. I also bought on the skirts you recommend on your blog and I love it, it gave hiking a whole new meaning!
I hope your hike is going well and I wish you the best of luck!!
Dani

HERC DRIVER said...

You're doing sooooo terrific!! Couldn't be more proud of you! You're beautiful and keep it up!!

Namaste,

Tom

runrgrrl7 said...

Thinking of you!

Ofie

Anonymous said...

hi catra,

great going, girl!!! you rock! and i love that pink dress of yours. :D have fun and be safe.

cheers!

hao

Anonymous said...

Your a locomotive now Catra, nothing's going to stop you.

Anonymous said...

You Go! Just a reminder for your Oregon segment. Where's Waldo 100k is scheduled for Aug 18 on some of the PCT segments just where it crosses Hwy 58. Stop in at the lodge 1/4 mile from that hwy crossing, say Hi to your Oregon ultra fans!

One of the Chosen Wheeew said...

Catra- just discovered your blog from the PCT homepage. Read the whole thing in one sitting. Awesome!! I'm a thru-hiker of the A.T. from 1991 and plan on doing the PCT next spring. Would LOVE to talk with you when you're thru with your hike. Let me know how to do that. In the meantime, I'll be following your blog. You rock!! P.S. What happened to the Russian Chick? And Carl???