Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Day 17 - Saturday, June 9

Getting ready for the trail today. I've started eating my oatmeal right out of the packet. I just pour in water, stir and eat. Saves having to clean my bowl afterwards. ;-) Now to throw my home on my back and I'm out of here!

I headed down into a highway services area near Cajon/ Hwy 15 to a McDonalds that is only .4 miles off trail to get a cold drink and charge my phone where I met a 2006 PCT hiker, Girl Scout. He told me that he was just coming back from a trip to the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas. He highly recommended it. He said he's been following my blog. I was telling him about the sketchy section of trail I was on yesterday. He said that is the section where No Way Ray, a well known PCT Hiker and writer, fell to his death last year. He also told me that where I saw the weird guy was where Charles Manson and his "family" used to hang out. Maybe that guy was the last of the Manson family! LOL! Whew, glad I'm through there!

Picture courtesy of Terri Steele-

Got a message from Lon that he went to Wrightwood. I am skipping my resupply at Wrightwood so it looks like I will get ahead of him. Tattoo Joe left a message that he just left Agua Dulce 2 days ago.

Had an uneventful, relatively easy day. I'm having to carry 6-8 liters of water so my pack is heavy. As I was setting up camp, I could hear and see lots of jeeps and 4-wheelers driving up this dirt road. I'm wondering what they are doing way out here - going camping, I guess.

I am camping at mile 357 at this perfect site on top of this little ridge at 6500'. I'm just east of Gobber's Knob - funny name, huh.

Here I am in camp at sunset. You can see the valley I will be hiking above tomorrow in the south end of the San Gabriel Mountains.

20 comments:

EnergeticRick!!! said...

Keep on pushing girl, I am so proud of you and am having a blast keeping track of you this summer! Stay positive!
-Rick-

Rocky Rockmeister said...

Hi Mom! Me & Boomer had a play day. We had lots of fun, that's why I'm yawning. Think it's time for my nap. I miss you. Sending you lots of doggy kisses!

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

So glad the trip continues to be a safe one! Loving seeing new posts from your trip in my inbox -- thanks for sharing each step with us!

JeffO said...

You are TOUGH! That is quite an adventure! Be safe. We're all behind you.

Jen said...

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge (1872 - 1933)

Anonymous said...

Exciting stuff, keep it up Catra!

Brad said...

You doing awesome! Glad to hear that you are keeping safe and making safe choices out there!

Anonymous said...

Yay Catra!! Hi. Clarissa here, I'm just a fan/lurker and 40 mile a weeker, girl and another former s.f. in s.f.... and I'm damn proud of you. You are bringing a new standard to transformation. Very best to you.

SimplyStu said...

Glad to see things are going well! Keep it up!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep on pushing, Catra. I hiked the PCT a few years ago (though slower than you are going!), and loved it. It is a beautiful trail, and I met beautiful people. Good luck!

John Blue said...

Great to see you, Catra! I'm checking your blog about 10 times a day looking for updates! Living vicariously through your adventures. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!
VN

Dieselmota said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dieselmota said...

Hi Catra-

OOPS! on my comment I deleted just up one.

Here it is again...

I sent you good vibes at 2:40pm your time on Wednesday, June 13. I got a feeling you needed some wings right about then.

FLY!!!

Liesel

Unknown said...

You're trucking. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us all.

greyhound said...

What a place. Pour in water and stir for a perfect morning.

desert runner said...

hi Catra. i didn't know we could send you a message. don't know much about these blog's. i'm with you babe, following every posting. you are a great lady doing what you love to do. i hope all works out for me to meet you at Walker's Pass. i will be there with fruit and drinks.
love ya,
Chris Rios

GB said...

You will have an iron stomach by the time you're through. You'll be able to eat and drink anything without getting an upset tummy.

Looking forward to the next entry!

Anonymous said...

C--
rock on. i'm not posting often but think of you daily when i'm out on the trail. and check yr blog always. am sending vibes and following your journey. nice. you are an adventure muse. i think you've got a worldwide audience about now.

luv the pics. luv the straight up meal. luv the iron joy of you digging thru the PCT. that one mansonish guy was freaky! stay strong. you're gonna pickup time.

dp--harrimanstparknystate

RunBubbaRun said...

Keep on pushing girl... Be safe out there.. What an adventure you are leading us on.

Anonymous said...

You rock. When do you think you will be on AC100 or Leona Divide PCT sections. Let me know if you need a partner for the day or anything at all -Vinnie six-two-six 278-five-nine-zero-zero or vinnie at vtindustries.net